Tuesday, July 24, 2007

At last... Football

Thankfully, believe it or not, football season is right around the corner. Hard to believe -- after months and months of waiting -- but it is this close.

SEC Media Days is currently underway, and a week after Nick Saban goes to Hoover (along with Antoine Caldwell and Simeon Castille), Fall practice will begin. The freshmen will arrive, heads will be shaved, jersey numbers will be assigned, the pads will shortly start popping, we'll ooh and ah at players that are -- whoa, big shock -- not fat and out of shape, and once again for the second time in 2007 the practice facility will see more pizzas made than the Domino's on 15th Street. Spectators will crowd around the green-tarp-covered gates, the truly dedicated will get a glimpse via binoculars from the 4th floor of the south end of Mary Burke East (it's a nice view, trust me), tens of thousands will watch over-and-over two minute clips of the Tide running elementary drills on TideSports, and the position battles will quickly take shape.

I say to hell with the flowers blooming and the days getting longer, nothing is better than football right around the corner.

So what do we plan to do around here on Outside The Sidelines?

We're going to have some in-depth coverage, to say the least. I don't know exactly what we're going to do, but we'll try to get quite a bit done. I must say that I do enjoy this blog. It combines two of my favorite things: empirical analysis and Alabama football. So, I'll try to do as much as time permits.

For certain I am going to do game-charting, so we can have some very in-depth data to analyze. Unfortunately, at the moment I only have the play-by-play data from RollTide.com, ESPN.com, and other sites, and while decent, it's nowhere near as in-depth as I would like for it be. There are simply so many questions that I have that I simply cannot answer with the data that I have at hand. However, with me doing game-charting for the 2007 season, I'll have that data at my fingertips. At the end of the day, it's just going to improve the quality and depth of the content here by leaps and bounds.

I do plan on doing a very in-depth game-by-game recap, and I have a few more ideas.

If you have any suggestions, drop me a line in the comment box.

2 comments:

AL C. Hemist said...

I saw in your post about Ricks that you said he could get 300 snaps this season. Could you talk a little about how you believe snaps should be distributed between the starters and back-ups? Is that even something you consider important?

Outside The Sidelines said...

Dear alchemist,

If you will notice, I recently did a post regarding your question. Hopefully that addressed most everything that you were asking, but if there is anything else you'd like clarified or anything of the sort, please let me know and I will do a follow up.

And also, just a note, the reason I made mention of 300 snaps for Ricks is that it is a nice number, more than anything else. 300 snaps would work out to roughly 23 snaps per game over the course of 13 games, which is very realistic if he qualifies.

Thanks for the interest in my blog. If you ever have a question or comment, drop me a line and I'll try to get back to it as soon as possible.