Saturday, July 28, 2007

2006 SEC: The Bendability Index

In the previous post, I introduced the Bendability Index, and made the argument for its relevance in college football. Though I focused on Alabama, I nevertheless had to do the research for the other eleven SEC teams just to see how the Crimson Tide stacked up by comparison. And since the research has already been done, I might as well go ahead and publish it.

The following is how the entire SEC ranked in Bendability Index:



All told, I wouldn't really say there are any major surprises. The teams generally stacked up about like you thought they would have, with a few exceptions here and there.

One point, though, that should be made regards Georgia. Though the Dawgs had one of the best defenses in the conference -- if not the nation -- in 2006, they were very low in terms of Bendability Index, ranking tenth in the conference by that measure. The problem was a struggling Georgia offense that often times committed devastating turnovers. Again, as said earlier, the Bendability Index is not solely a measure of defensive prowess, but of overall team efficiency. The 2006 Georgia Bulldogs proved that point quite nicely.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Is this statistic drawn from only the eight SEC games as you have done with other analysis?

Outside The Sidelines said...

Dear Robert,

Yes it is.

Essentially speaking, every statistic that I do, for the most part, involves only the eight regular season conference games, for the reasons noted earlier.

For the most part, any analysis that I do that includes smaller games will be noted as such.

Thanks for reading, though. If you ever have any questions, just drop me a line and I'll try to get back to it as soon as I see it.